Senior Project: We reviewed, on Monday, the agenda for the rest of the school year. The seniors have a very busy schedule; therefore, trying to fit everything in is a challenge. Here is an update of what we discussed, with regards to their senior projects:
- Friday, March 15th: Outlines due. Here is the outline template I handed out. The outlines do not have to be full sentences, they may be topical in nature. This outline is required to help students organize their thoughts and force the procrastinators to begin.
- I will pass the graded outlines back to students before spring break (March 29th – April 5). This way students will have this time to work on their research paper.
- Friday, April 19th: Research papers are due.
- I will work on grading/reviewing their papers while some of the students are in Alaska (April 26th – May 6th). Once students return I will hand back papers with any corrections that need to be made.
- Thursday, April 25th: Research abstract due to Mrs. Knechtel
- Week of May 13th: All classes will practice, in front of their peers, their senior project presentations.
- Tuesday, May 21st: Senior Project Presentation night!
Oral Communication (OCU):
- Monday: Reviewed the agenda for the rest of the school year, with regards to their oral com speeches.
- Week of March 11th: Devotional Speeches
- Dates were assigned to each student on Friday March 8th
- Week of March 18th: Informative/Demonstrative Speeches
- Week of April 15th: Persuasive Speeches
- Tuesday: We began a very fun activity with “Dove” chocolate. Students were able to first hand see how much an outline helps them prepare a speech/paper.
- Wed: Snow Day!
- Thursday: Will continue “Dove” speeches and complete chapter 9 quiz (that was scheduled for Wed)
- Friday: Finished “Dove” speeches
- Monday: Reviewed the schedule for senior project. I went over the proper procedures for an outline. Purdue OWL – Writing Lab is full of great resources to help with outlines, citing sources and writing a research paper.
- Tuesday: Topic forms were due. This assignment was handed out last week and it asked students to write down their three main points for their research papers and three sources.
- I spent the class time reviewing one-on-one their topics, main points and sources.
- Wed: Snow Day!
- Thursday: Shortened class time due to musical performance during 1st period. I will be introducing students to APA citations.
- Friday: I decided to give them a little break from senior project and we looked at the origins of fairy tales. We began a small project called “Fracturing” Fairy Tales. This is where one retells a fairy tale from a different perspective. Studetns really enjoyed this – ask them about the original Cinderella.
- Monday: Finished book report presentations.
- Tuesday: Research day with Mrs. Seaman, Mrs. Hoag and myself. This class time was spent researching sources for their history research projects.
- Here is the rubric for the history research paper.
- Wed: Snow Day!
- Thursday: Shortened class times due to musical performance during 1st period.
- Study spelling words (sparkle!)
- Finish book report presentations
- Friday: Spelling Quiz!
- Research day with Mrs. Seaman, Mrs. Hoag and myself. This class time was spent researching sources for their history research projects.
- Thesis statements are due to Mrs. Seaman on Monday, March 11th.